Tuesday, August 28

one-liners, lessons, laughs and such from my favorite book

You can essentially just pick up the book Pride and Prejudice and read any sentence out of it, and then spend any length of time pondering on it. Such fascinating one liners exist therein!
*hows that for 19th century speech?
Some are simply good quotable one-liners. Others are very good lessons to remember. And some are just rediculously humerous.
For example:

 “It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.”

“A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.”

“One cannot be always laughing at a man without now and then stumbling on something witty.”

"What are men to rocks and mountains?"

“Angry people are not always wise.”

“A girl likes to be crossed a little in love now and then. It is something to think of.”

“Could there be finer symptoms? Is not general incivility the very essence of love?”

“I have not the pleasure of understanding you.”

“I must learn to be content with being happier than I deserve.”

“I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine.”

“Her heart did whisper that he had done it for her.”

“I am only resolved to act in that manner, which will, in my own opinion, constitute my happiness, without reference to you, or to any person so wholly unconnected with me.”

"Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion.”

“I am the happiest creature in the world . . . I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh.”

“It's been many years since I had such an exemplary vegetable.” (what the?!)

“An unhappy alternative is before you, Elizabeth. From this day you must be a stranger to one of your parents. Your mother will never see you again if you do not marry Mr. Collins, and I will never see you again if you do.” (I just think this is funny)

“You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.” (I swoon)

“He is a gentleman, and I am a gentleman's daughter. So far we are equal.”

“Till this moment I never knew myself.”

“Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.”


I could go on forever. I love this book.
I henceforth declare that you read it.
Now go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead, you know you want to...