Tuesday, May 20

Tasty Tuesday: No Guilt Pregnancy Foods

Starting at about 18 weeks pregnant, I started facing a dilemma. I was hungry. Basically always. I tried at first to just not eat until meal time, but that became basically impossible. So I ate. And I felt so much better. The hunger has tapered down, thank the heavens, but I still eat the following on a daily basis, and they have become my most favorite foods of all time.


Greek Yogurt.
I eat a 6 oz container every day around 10:30. It contains 45% of your calcium and only has 90 calories (I eat the light kind.) I am lactose intolerant so getting calcium has always been a bit of a problem. I take supplements,  but you absorb nutrients better from food than from pills, so I really try to get enough from my diet. I have tried probably every type of greek yogurt known to man. My favorite is Chobani with fruit on the bottom, but I go through so much of it I started looking for a cheaper option. When I found a Western Family version I thought it would be terrible but I bought a few to try. At first I thought they were just ok, but not quite as flavorful or sweet. I tried them for a few days and then when I switched back to Chobani, they actually tasted overly sweet, so I switched back to Western Family lite versions, and have been eating them ever since.


Fruit.
Apples, grapes, pears, pineapple, oranges, strawberries. All of them.  All the time.

Carrots.
Two big ones, sliced up. Great for keepin' ya regular, 'cause that becomes a problem when your growing a human, I've learned.

Celery.
Two stalks (is that what a long thing of celery is called?) with laughing cow cheese. Amazing. One wedge of the cheese contains 8% of your calcium, so eat two wedges and your only up to 70 calories and 16% of your calcium. (Add that to the 45% from yogurt, and your doing pretty good.)

Those are my snacks. The only actual meal around here that's been on repeat is homemade Chipotle Burrito Bowls (and nachos - I've been big into refried beans apparently). They are incredible, but we don't have a Chipotle here, so I make them. They also happen to be super great for you because all they are is: rice, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, corn, peppers, onions, olives and chicken that's been marinated in olive oil, taco seasoning and lime juice. I found this amazing recipe on Pinterest, I'll have to find it for you.

What are your favorite, no guilt, pregnancy foods?

2 comments:

  1. I love your healthy idea's Tiahna! Something I really enjoyed was tuna fish salad (with a little mayo, lot's of celery and craisins), also olive oil pita chips, strawberries and yogurt, and sugar-free flavored water. :) I hope you are feeling well, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent narration and presentation. Lovely recipe. Well done
    chowringhee kathi roll

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead, you know you want to...